Frequently asked questions

Will I be instantly covered and will I be charged immediately?

We aim to get you on cover by the date you have requested. All policies submitted online have to be checked before they can go on cover. If you have any questions or want to check the progress of a policy please call us.

If you pay by credit or debit card you will be charged at the time you submit your policy.

How long will you hold a quote for?

We will hold a quote and keep the rate for 30 days after you have taken an online quote. After this 30 day period you will have to go through the quote process again.

Can my tenants work from home?

Policies can differ, but the usual rule is that tenants can only run a business from home, or work from home, if they do clerical work - anything else will invalidate the policy. It is possible that you can get cover if you explain the situation to the company holding the current, let property insurance policy and the tenant arranges their own business policy, but that would have to be taken up at the time, it's impossible to give an answer that covers all situations.

Note: this only covers the insurance angle. Depending on the situation you may find that you need to change your tenancy agreement - take legal advice to be on the safe side.

Am I covered if the property is empty?

Yes and no. Most let property policies will cover properties when there's a gap between tenants moving out and new people coming in but there'll be a limit to that - usually two or three months. After that you can switch to a unoccupied property policy which is designed for just this eventuality.

What value should I put on my contents?

There's no easy answer to that one, you'll have to add up the price when new or current value of each item. But if you're letting a property you'll be doing an inventory as well, so at least you don't have to list all the items, that will have already been done for you. You can choose new-for-old or replacement cover, just as you can with an ordinary household policy.

Does it matter if I modify the property?

Within reason, no. You can even convert a home into flats and it will still be ok, as long as building regulations are fully complied with. The exception is dividing a property into bedsits with partitions - you will almost certainly need to apply for a new policy.

How do I contact you?

You can contact us in a number of ways, either telephone us on 01608 647640 or email us on [email protected]

How much should I insure my property for?

As with ordinary house insurance the cost you insure for is the cost to rebuild the property, not the land as well. Your mortgage company can advise you or you can use a residential rebuilding cost calculator on the web - there's one on the Association of British Insurers website.

Can I just stick with my ordinary house insurance if I let my property out?

No. Although there's no LEGAL requirement to have letting insurance, if anything happened to your house while it was let and you still had your ordinary household insurance, the insurance company would not pay out. You may also find out that your mortgage provider will insist on having proper letting insurance in place as well.

It's up to you how much cover you buy and whether you insure fixtures, fittings and contents as well as the building itself, but it is essential to have let property insurance in place before tenants move in.

Should I insure the contents as well as the property?

That's really up to you and depends on your circumstances. If you're renting a property out fully furnished, then it would make sense to cover contents. If it's unfurnished, then it would be a waste of money to insure contents.

The tricky bit is when it's part-furnished - you have to weigh up the cost of the items you've got in the house and balance the cost of a premium against paying for any damage or replacements yourself. Either way you should make tenants aware of the level of cover so that they can arrange their own cover if they want.

How do I know what's covered by property insurance and what counts as contents?

This is often pretty clear - a sofa is contents and a wall or door is the property. But often there are grey areas like white goods or decorative fittings

What the insurance industry says is to imagine the house being picked up and turned upside down. The things that fall down or out will be contents and anything that stays behind is covered by the building insurance.

Can I rent my house out and live abroad?

Yes you can, but you must let the insurance company know that you are going to do that and provide contact details where you can be reached.

Have you already started a quote?

Just enter your reference number and email address to recall your quote.